VCR Loewe Optacord 700 color

Ook op TV en videogebied heeft Philips diverse hoogstandjes op zijn naam staan. Denk aan VCR, Video2000 en de diverse onverwoestbare TV chassis. Al het tele-gebabbel kan hier plaatsvinden!

Moderator: Moderators

OldieSt

07 apr 2020, 21:44

So, the promise is the promise, I hold the pics you asked to me...

First, the little back-identification plate:
IMG_20200404_185948_913~2.jpg
The inside of a sliding cover, wher is allowed the tuner module:
IMG_20200404_190356_549~2.jpg
An a front view:
IMG_20200404_190423_440~2.jpg
Enjoy!
mae
Donateur

08 apr 2020, 02:03

Thanks!

Definitely some parts weren't made by Philips. Unfortunately no hard identifying information on those, but by the looks of it, Loewe could be the OEM (edit: on looking closely, it seems the position number of the IC starts with a single letter I. This was typical for Loewe, so I'm almost certain they at least partially manufactured the recorder, probably most or all of the electronics and the final assembly).

Can you see through the slit if there's a paper label below the type plate? The picture on rmorg shows a typical Philips label. This might be for the deck part itself, but I would be very curious as to what it says (if present).
OldieSt

14 apr 2020, 23:06

Hi,

The only label I can see is which I show with a yellow arrow, under the left of that noisy motor (when the vcr wakes up).
IMG_20190529_174504_325~3.jpg
Regards!!
gromsound
Contacteer:

15 apr 2020, 18:55

ah thats definitely a philips chassis sticker. as we expected, the deck was bought as a unit.
lijdt aan AMHD - alles moet het doen
OldieSt

03 mei 2020, 09:24

Hi again,

After doing the firsts proofs with the new belts of an Philips N1501 (perfectly compatible), the vcr powers on well without a tape, the lacing and unlacing operations seem good and also the play-rec and stop function...

The problem comes introducing a tape:
it laces relatively well but maybe with no sufficient tension. After that, when the play button is pressed the tape runs difficulty about 2-3 seconds and the vcr stops and unlaces the tape, without success... It remains out of the case and sometimes like tangled...
Has the pulling motor not enough power to move the tape?

Also the rewind and wind functions are not possible, the buttons are blocked...

Any capacitor or transistor dead?
Any idea?

Thanks in advance ;)
gromsound
Contacteer:

03 mei 2020, 12:56

Also the rewind and wind functions are not possible, the buttons are blocked...
which means the lacing does not complete to the end stop (which releases the buttons and should also tension the capstan pressure roller). maybe the gears from the lacing end switches assembly are out of phase. You may try to loosen the assembly and move the gear one tooth further then try again.

The gromsoundmod will get rid of those complications (and further damage) forever 8)
https://gromsound.mfbfreaks.com/app/1500mod.htm

The tape protection works fine if it unlaces when no tape travel is detected. so first check the roller pressure, maybe the levers are dry and get stuck. Also check the pickup spool torque in play mode (by hand without cassette). If this is too low you get tape loops just after the capstan.

There are no electronic troubles with VCR regarding the deck functions, it is alway mechanical. And of course when unlaced the wind & rewind do not work that is VCR typical: only tape movement in laced state.
OldieSt

03 mei 2020, 16:35

Thank you so much, @gromsound.

Before reading your answer, this morning I've seen on your tips-thread of N150x and N170x-series that sometimes the pulling wheel doesn't drive well and the tape-movement is not good or possible.

I've took off these pieces and sanding them with a very fine sandpaper...
Voila! It plays well! :clap:
Screenshot_20200503-130234~2.png
About winding and rewinding functions, I've noticed that the unblocking lever doesn't take its correct position when the tape compartment is down and closed, maybe it needs a little adjustement. Unblocking it manually with a little screwdriver allows doing it, but the tape doesn't run.

I did the play proof with two VCs and both give me on screen an image like a blank tape, could you show me what is watched on tv with a blank tape?
I see this:
Screenshot_20200503-163011~2.png
Using this kind of connection:
IMG_20200503_121121_170.jpg
Thanks!
gromsound
Contacteer:

04 mei 2020, 18:16

Ok so it was this one after all :
Also check the pickup spool torque
good that you found it, BTW sanding&degreasing the drum&rubber wheel does only help for a limited time, the piece of bicycle inner tube as shown in the picture is a better fix.

I seem to remember that a blank tape will not give any image at all, the VCR will mute if no signal is found on the heads. So it should be black with periodically a short flashing white stripe when the sync circuit resets. Marcel has his VCRs by hand maybe he can inform us. Your TV image seems to resemble defective heads.
OldieSt

04 mei 2020, 20:11

Hi,

Finally I decided to put over the white pulling-wheel a cutted finger of a latex glove, this way it runs better while winding and rewinding the tape. :D

The rewind and fast-forward buttons were blocked because the little triangle piece of plastic was too introduced on the metallic part of the lever. Just took it off a bit and glued:
IMG_20200503_183827_445~2.jpg

Another point is to find an image coming to the RF-imput to make a recording proof, but the vcr is not able to be tuned: on screen is not possible to watch any good and there is no sound.

I show you what is the best seen:
IMG_20200503_221607_934~2.jpg
From this:
IMG_20200504_110441_065~2.jpg
I've tried with the 7 channels and only 2 or 3 can give that unstable image without sound.

You can watch the correct lacing, unlacing, wind and rewind operations on this youtube's video:

A serial number is written over a yellow label on the left motor (capstan's drum motor): WD02 31 72, does it mean that this device was manufactured about the summer or autumm 1972?

Thanks for your help.
mae
Donateur

05 mei 2020, 23:57

1972, week 31 to be precise. A label on a motor may refer to the motor itself. The main factory label on the deck is on the top somewhere to the left as shown in your picture from14 april 22:06.
gromsound
Contacteer:

06 mei 2020, 19:24

i forgot when typing my last reaction that this is NOT a Philips so circuitry outside the deck may be completely different and the recorder may therefore react in a way i do not expect. Maybe it has no mute at all.

Do you at least have a service manual with schematics? It is practically impossible to serach for a fault without that. At least you have color so both heads must be ok.
OldieSt

06 mei 2020, 23:01

mae schreef: 05 mei 2020, 23:57 1972, week 31 to be precise. A label on a motor may refer to the motor itself. The main factory label on the deck is on the top somewhere to the left as shown in your picture from14 april 22:06.
Ok, then the motor was manufactured in july-august (week 31) and the vcr in october (week 43) of 1972, cause the plate's label says WD08 243...
gromsound schreef: 06 mei 2020, 19:24 i forgot when typing my last reaction that this is NOT a Philips so circuitry outside the deck may be completely different and the recorder may therefore react in a way i do not expect. Maybe it has no mute at all.

Do you at least have a service manual with schematics? It is practically impossible to serach for a fault without that. At least you have color so both heads must be ok.
Yes, you're right... Someone said on this thread that the circuitry is not the same than Philips' diagram...

Unfortunately, Loewe is a german mark and I haven't the repair's manual or some to check the possible failures. Maybe it's very difficult to get one...

The color image on screen I've shown, was that image while I tried to tune the vcr with the output signal from other device, but you see it was not fine.

Could a tape recorded with another vcr well played on this one? The manual tracking control does nothing, but I know that the tapes I have, were recorded with a Philips N1501... I made the proofs with 2 tapes, without success to get a good playing... I will try with other tapes I have, before cleaning them...
gromsound
Contacteer:

08 mei 2020, 11:24

VCR was designed to be fully compatible between machines so that should definitely work. Especially since this is a Philips deck after all no gghhrunndigghh who did not always stick to the agreed specs (VCC sound out of timing for instance :? ).

Do you have another VCR to check your tapes or to make a test tape? You do really need at least one reference test tape and it is handy to have a bad one when repairing a deck. Then it is no drama if it wrinkles.

BTW looking at your ''best'' image, it seems indeed just simply out of correct tuning, early VCRs did not have a monitor option so you could not see what you were doing. In order to fine tune the N1502 had 3 LEDs for video signal, color and sound (on N170x only one). That way you could tune to a station in the blind. and then find the RF output on your TV (no AV connections in those days).
Of course your tuner could be defective but that seems seldom the case with these old beasts.
OldieSt

08 mei 2020, 22:52

Ok, then it's sure that the tapes can be played on differents machines only using the manual tracking adjustement, really?

Yes, I'm cleaning some other tapes recorded at this speed to try new proofs and see if the Loewe can works well...

If this has no success, I could make them with another vcr: a Philips N1501; but its lacing mechanism needs to be fixed, some gear wheels are knackered... :?

The tune-method to get an image from another device was done as with a Philips: power on, press play and rec together, and open the channel selector to find out the video signal... Very difficult to get this and no sound avaliable... :think:
gromsound
Contacteer:

09 mei 2020, 15:10

really?
yes sir, the first fully compatible system in europe. Philips licenced the system spec just like with audio cassette in 1964 in order to try to get to a world standard (or at least european). They showed the principle already in 1969 to other manufacturers to raise interest.

Does the machine have a direct AV input? that way you could bypass the tuner.

N1501 lacing mech, just throw in the Gromsoundmod and your troubles will vanish forever 8)
Plaats reactie