freshly recapped 586 with no sound from its woofer

Alles over onze geliefde MFB boxen in deze categorie.

Moderator: Moderators

Plaats reactie
LordTaifleh

Hi all,

i’ve had this pair of philips mfb 586 that were waiting to have their caps replaced.

One of the speakers always had a fault, where sometimes, the big speaker would not output any sound but sometimes do.

After finishing the recapping, this has gotten worse instead of better, which i had hoped.

which parts should i look at to find the fault?

the feedback part seems to work, as the membrane gives the same sound when i knock on it while switched on.
snameroc
Donateur

You meen that the feedback also works when there is no sound of the woofer?
LordTaifleh

i mean, that the woofer membrane is stiff when power is turned on, regardless of the working state of the amp that sporadically showed the error. so i think the correction circuit seems to work ok.

i'm hoping for for feedback of some of the enlightened people that post in this forum and who may have seen a similar problem

If i'm not being clear enough, please bear with me and ask more questions so i can clear things up

cheers
Remi
Donateur

not clear to me for sure. Stiff membrane?
can the conus move? how about the relay, did you replace it? It might be a good idea, or try to clean the contacts inside the relay. They are known to become poor resulting in shabby sound for mostly the tweeter but sometimes the woofer is also affected.
"Hoezo nu wel genoeg? D'r is toch nog plek!" jaja, waar dan? "Ha! d'r kan nog wat in de auto!"
Forumnaam
Donateur

Maybe a video of the fault/happening with sound on makes it more clear what the problem is?
Thomas
Site Admin
Contacteer:

You may have to clean the relay contacts or replace the relay.
Thomas Baur
20 jaar MFBfreaks: 2003 - 2023

Home: http://www.mfbfreaks.com
Shop: http://shop.mfbfreaks.com

4-4-2024: Over de Philips Big Sound Drive In Show!
LordTaifleh

The woofer is toast. There is no connection whatsoever between the positive and negative..
LordTaifleh

I was able to resolder the wire of the voice coil to the flex cable and now it works again!
Plaats reactie